A talk at the Jane Goodall Institute Singapore!July 8, 2019
Interview with Camille Coudrat by the French Embassy of LaosJuly 31, 2019
On the 17th July 2019, we reached a milestone with the signature of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Nam Theun 2 Watershed Management and Protection Authority (WMPA), in charge of the management of the Nakai-Nam Theun National Park. This MoU gives us the permission to implement all our programs for the next 5 years (to be renewed). This MoU is under the agreement at the National (central) level from the Department of Forestry, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The signing ceremony took place at the office of the WMPA in Nakai. Representatives of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Nakai District offices and Khammouan Province offices attended the ceremony.
This MoU was developed in line with the overall management goal of the Nakai-Nam Theun National Park which is to “protect wildlife and other biological resources in the NT2 Watershed, with particular emphasis on endangered Annamite endemic species, to ensure their long-term well-being and continued viability through effective and proactive law enforcement”.
This MoU includes the following objectives (under which several activities will be implemented):
- Specific objective 1: To collect novel data on ecological aspects of the local biodiversity and monitor wildlife populations in order to inform conservation plans and increase global scientific knowledge;
- Specific objective 2: To protect natural habitats actively with anti-poaching patrol teams;
- Specific objective 3: To increase and promote the community outreach, conservation education, and awareness raising;
- Specific objective 4: To develop and promote sustainable agriculture and alternative livelihoods projects for local communities in NNT NP and Nakai District through the use of permaculture and agro-ecological approach in order to reduce the impacts and pressure on natural resources;
- Specific objective 5: To raise the profile of the Annamite mountains and Nakai-Nam Theun National Park locally, nationally, and internationally;
- Specific objective 6: To develop the institutional and community capacity building;
- Specific objective 7: To develop partnerships for project implementation;
- Specific objective 8: To provide advisory consultations and guidelines on on biodiversity conservation to the Nam Theun 2 Watershed Management and Protection Authority;
- Specific objective 9: To promote and strengthen collaboration among relevant institutions on biodiversity research study and conservation
[…] Park Authority (governed under the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry of the Lao P.D.R.) in July 2019, we convened our key government partner stakeholders to report on Association Anoulak’s […]